Click the Image to learn more about Ann Handley’s Everybody Writes by downloading a MindManager mind map of its contents.
It doesn’t matter how much writing and content marketing experience you’ve had, Ann Handley’s Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content should be on your bedside table or desk.
It offers a welcome combination of perspective, details, and insights from one of the most recognizable names in content marketing.
Learning from the mind map of Everybody Writes
I created the free downloadable mind map for others who want to learn more about Everybody Writes before buying it and also for those who want to use it as a learning tool while reading the book:
- If you’re a MindManager user, you can download the mind map and use it as a template for taking notes and as you read each chapter. This is better than underlining.
- If you’re not a MindManager user, you can explore Ann Handley’s Everybody Writes on screen, exploring the table of contents and how Ann has organized 74 chapters and dozens of resources into 6 parts. You can collapse the contents for a big-picture view of the book, or expand and zoom-in to explore the chapters in each section. I’ve also added background information and links for you to explore.
Ann Handley’s writing tips for content marketers
Everybody Writess addresses the challenges content marketers face trying to create a continuous stream of helpful, relevant content.
Previously, marketers have stressed different writing skills, such as direct marketing (with its emphasis on prompting immediate sales) or the later creative and positioning eras.
Today, however, the main challenges content marketers face are to:
- Continuously educate your market with relevant “how to buy” and “how to use” information targeted to buyers at different stages of the buying cycle.
- Engage your market’s interest with stories that build lasting emotional loyalty and relationships.
There are also additional challenges:
- Competition and information overload. Content marketers must attract, engage, and build lasting relationships in an information-saturated online environment.
- Small-screen world. Increasingly, content is read on mobile devices like iPhones, laptops, and tablets with screens far smaller than usually found on desktop computers.
Ann Handley’s perspective…
In Everybody Writes, Ann Handley shares ideas, experiences, and examples to help content marketers meet today’s online writing challenges. She’s organized her ideas in 74 chapters, organized in 6 parts.
Resonating throughout Everybody Writes is Ann Handley’s emphasis upon brevity and clarity.
Many current writing books emphasize the differences that technology imposes on today’s content writers, but none describe the challenges and solutions as well as Everybody Writes.
Everybody Writes begins by acknowledging the difficulties that many in business and marketing face when approaching a writing project, then proceeds to offer increasingly-detailed writing advice for content marketers.
As you can see from the book’s table of contents, Ann practices what she preaches. Everybody Writes contains 74 chapters, organized in 6 parts. Some chapters are as short as 2 or 3 pages. She communicates using short words, short sentences, and short paragraphs.
Not just another writing book
Everybody Writes is more than just another book about writing. It’s a book with its origins in content marketing. It’s a follow-up to her co-authored pioneering book, Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks (And More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business, which continues to be a bestselling content marketing title.
Ann is also the Content Strategy Officer for Marketing Profs, an education and training community of more than 600,000 followers.
You can learn more about Ann Handler at her Amazon.com author page and her personal bog. She is also a columnist for Entrepreneur Magazine (that’s her portal page) and a LinkedIn Influencer. She is a frequent presenter at content marketing events around the world, like Content Marketing World.
Everybody Writes reflects her extensive network of content marketing luminaries. Everybody Writes is enhanced by numerous examples and exclusive comments and quotes from conversations with other A-list content marketers.
Ann Handley is a high-personality storyteller. She writes as she talks–with enthusiasm and humor. In Everybody Writes, Ann Handley discusses her writing experiences and challenges in a way that you can identify with.
You describes her writing processes, how she manages her time, and the work-arounds she’s created to avoid commuting–such as building a stand-alone office in her backyard.
After reading Everybodyy Writes, you’ll not only know how to become a comfortable, effective writer, but you’ll also have a lot to talk about if you ever meet Ann at an airport or backstage at a content marketing conference.
Have you read Everybody Writes?
My mind map of Ann Handley’s Everybody Writes joints over a content marketing and writing books at Biggerrplate.com. If you’ve already read Everybody Writes, please share enjoy your impressions and takeaways. Did you find it as rewarding a reading experience as I did? Please share your comments, below.