Friday’s upcoming event for authors
If you’re an author interested in maximum success, you’ll want to learn what to look for when choosing a graphic designer during next week’s free teleclass, an Author Guide to Choosing the Right Designer.
You’ll gain a new perspective on this crucial topic, and a better understanding of what you should be looking for, and what web and print design tasks you should do yourself.
During this free 1-hour call, on Tuesday, December 15, at 4:00 PM, authors will find out what to look for, and the questions to ask, when choosing graphic and web designers for projects like:
- Book covers
- E-mail marketing
What you’ll learn
To effectively market and promote their books and their careers, authors have specialized needs that must be met…needs that go far beyond general graphic design skills. During this 1-hour call, I’m going to outline a 3-step process that will help you in the following areas:
- What can go wrong? Why it’s so critically important for authors to choose the right type of designer; qualifications and technical skills are often more important than their portfolio.
- Choose the right type of designer. It’s not enough to recognize that you need a designer, you have to know what type of designer will best meet your needs.
- How to “read” a designer’s website. What to look for when visiting a designer’s website, and the clues their website can provide about their strengths and weaknesses.
- How to evaluate a designer’s portfolio. How to look “beyond the obvious” when viewing samples of their previous work.
- Questions to ask designers (and their previous clients.) How to focus on the critical issues and avoid unpleasant surprises down the road.
- Must-have skills. You’ll learn which skills to look for when comparing designers, and which abilities are most important for different types of projects.
- Expectations and division of labor. What tasks can you, and should you, delegate, and what should you, and must you, do yourself?
Handouts and note-taking sheets
Attendees will be able to download a note-taking sheet as a learning aid during the call. I will also be distributing a Designer Qualifications Worksheet to use as you evaluate designers, plus a Design Glossary of useful terms.
After my presentation, there will be time for authors to share their previous experiences with graphic designers, as well as comment and ask questions and receive specific coaching on design issues.
To attend Author Guide to Choosing The Right Designer…
An Author Guide to Choosing the Right Designer takes place Tuesday, December 15, at 4:00 PM EST. The call is open to all Published & Profitable friends and members.
To attend this call and find out what to look for when choosing and working with graphic designers, call 218-486-1616 anytime after 3:50 PM EST, and enter PIN 513391#. You may also submit questions for the call as comments, below.